Saturday, June 5, 2010

Where is "Las Boliches"? Do you mean where are the Boliches?

OK, I know it has been a while but that´s because orientation was just so wonderful I couldn´t find time to make it to an internet cafe. Anyhow, this week, we had some lectures, but we also did some really cool things. For example, we had a city-wide scavenger hunt where we weren´t allowed to take taxis and had to take public transportation. They have mini-buses here called "micros" and also smaller vans called "trufis" and then public taxis called "taxi-trufi". They are a little hard to understand the routes, but I think I´m figuring it out.

I also went out on the town for the first time this week. Me and Becca, another intern, decided to get bread for the group one day, and we asked the two girls there where a good place to find live music would be, and they told us, "Las Boliches en España". So that night, we ventured out to find "Las Boliches". Much to our dismay, we couldn´t find such a bar, so we asked around. That is when we realized that in Bolivia, "Las Boliches" means bar, not any one bar in particular! So three boys took us under their wing and showed us all the best spots. Also, this week we went to a park to the northwest of the city where we basically climbed up a mountain until trees couldn´t even grow anymore. It was an absolutely spectacular view of the mountains.


Afterwards we stopped in a town on the way back to Cochabamba to see a rehearsal for a big parade that they have every year on August 15. I am not quite sure what the parade is for, but I think it has something to do with independence even though their actual Independence Day is August 6 (1825? I think... Bolivia used to be considered part of Peru called "Alto-Peru" or "Tall-Peru"). Anyhow, the rehearsal parade was fun and each different barrio (or neighborhood) has their appropriate dress and song and dance and band and perform together.


On Thursday, my host mom picked me up from the hotel where orientation took place and took me home. The house is absolutely gorgeous and they are just finishing up some really nice renovations. My mom keeps telling me that all that needs to be done are the "cortinas" (the curtains) and that she is so sorry for all the mess, but, in reality, it is absolutely fine and gorgeous. My family is so nice and my mom calls me "mi amor" all the time, and it is so cute. And my niece (yes I am now an aunt!) wants to play games with me all the time and she is really sweet. And my sister is great too because she always tells me that if I ever need her no matter what time, no matter where I am, to call her and she will come find me no matter where I am! And my dad is great too and really helpful with any questions I have. And finally, Sampson, the dog, is sooooooooo adorable. He is a German Shephard and licks me everywhere when I go out to pet him. The picture below is the view from the top balcony of the house... it is gorgeous because you can see el Christo to the right even though it is kind of small in the photo.


On Friday morning, my mom and niece took me to the orientation for my work by micro-bus, and I met the man (Alvaro) that I would be working with. I will be doing something with the actual micro-credit loans, even though I´m still not quite sure exactly what. I will have my own desk though which makes me feel super important! Also, I get $200 in grant money to use on a project with the organization, but I have no idea what kind of project that will be, and all the other interns seem to know exactly how they want to use their money. Oh well, I feel like I will figure it out sooner or later... I do have 2 months.

And finally last night I went out with some of the other interns and even rode a motorcycle for the first time! One of the interns host-brothers took me home on his motorcycle since I needed to be home earlier than the rest of them (yes I do have a curfew here).



And this morning I woke up around 8 to go swimming. My dad told me where to find a pool, but when I got there, it wasn´t in use because it was an outdoor pool, so the lady told me where to find another pool. However, this pool was at a hotel, and actually didn´t exist. So my search continued. The concierge told me of a pool a little to the north, so I got in my third taxi of the day and went to this pool, but unfortunately, you can only take classes there, and it is not open for free swimming. So my search continues and hopefully I will be able to find one.

Work starts on Monday, and I have Wi-Fi at work, so I´ll be updating about the job hopefully after work ends, and I´ll also try to be on skype around 6:30 PM if anyone would like to talk.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really exciting!!! almost as fun as sitting in a windowless classroom at the law school watching lectures on videotape for 20 hours a week. i hope you'll keep track of all the places you go so you can write up my itinerary for when i make it to bolivia some day.

    ReplyDelete