Monday, July 12, 2010

A new week a new project? Just maybe

Well last week turned out to be extremely fun. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights were all spent in the pool. Hopefully I'll make some more friends at swim practice this week, though. On Wednesday, it was Aliya's birthday who used to live with my host family, so I guess technically she is my sister too. Her brother and sister came down from the U.S. to celebrate with her. We all had a great big birthday lunch in her honor on Wednesday and everyone opened presents. Then on Wednesday night, there were festivities, singing, dancing, instrument playing, and plenty of tragos to go around. Aliya works for a group called Katari, which specializes in helping young students pursue their musical and other artistic talents. Therefore, pretty much EVERYONE was singing and playing an instrument. It was great listening, although I couldn't participate because, unfortunately, my parents did not give me vocal cords that would sound good to anyone.

On Thursday, work was once again tiring and boring, and pretty much nothing got done. However, we did figure out a new project to work on. We are going to update the website and put more information about internships, volunteering, and most importantly, making donations to CADEPIA. Right now, the organization is a little lacking in cash. My favorite person in the entire office, Berinice, is leaving at the end of the month because CADEPIA just doesn't have the funds to pay her, and it's come to a point where she just isn't going to work for free. But Thursday night after work, I went to Mansi's house where she cooked for Natalia, her Spanish tutor, and me. She made delicious vegetarian Indian food. Yummmmm.

Friday was a little better, we finally got revisions back on our submitted project. They all really seemed to like the model that we built in Excel because all you really have to do is enter in some numbers, and BOOM, you've got an interest rate. We do have a few things to edit, however. For example, we need to create a guide for future volunteers to follow when they are conducting follow-ups with borrowers. Also, we need to create a job description and criteria for volunteers. But they pretty much liked everything else, and will be presenting it to the Board of Directors today. After work on Friday, I went to a charla at the FSD office where they talked about emigration from Bolivia. Apparently it is a pretty big problem, because 1 in every 5 Bolivians doesn't actually live in Bolivia. Also, once a Bolivian leaves the country, it is very very unlikely that they will ever return either because they have a stable situation elsewhere or because the cost of returning is just too much.  I also met the students who had just arrived on the Northwestern service learning trip. I helped them avert a disaster as well. I was talking on Skype to my mom when I heard that chatting about meeting up at Mandarina for dancing at 10 or so. I went down and told them, "no no no" discotecas in Bolivia don't open until midnight, so you better find something else to do before then. I told them about the discotecas, the bars, and basically the nightlife... and they seemed pretty thankful that I was there. (I was the only summer intern there because everyone else was in various places either traveling on their own, with their family, or with work.) I decided not to go out on Friday, though, because I was tired from the week at work, and my sister was sick, so I decided to cuddle in bed with her and watch TV.

Saturday was a bit more fun. I got my hair cut in the morning = $5.50. Then in the afternoon, I went to La Cancha with my sister where I got a mini tour (it is impossible to ever get a grand tour unless you actually stay in La Canch for a week!). I also bought a belt since my pants were falling down... real leather belt for $5, WOW! And then I bought the new Shakira CD for Tricia... except its actually a DVD which is kind of cooler! Then at night I was supposed to go out dancing with Karin, but she felt sick again. Luckily, right after she told me she was sick, Mansi texted me and said she was coming home tonight! So I met Mansi at Dumbo's on the Prado, and then we finished an entire bottle of wine between the two of us at Casa de Solar, and then we went dancing at Pimienta. We met two people, and now we have two Bolivian friends that we are going to eat pizza with this week.

Sunday morning was tough. I needed to sleep. Until 12:30 PM. At 2, we at lunch. Then after lunch I met up with Mansi at Hotel Portales where there is a gorgeous pool. I sat by the pool and read while she worked on writing her grant proposal. Also, since the World Cup final was on, I was up and down from my spot where I was basking in the sun to see the score of the game. It was always 0-0! But I kept hearing screams and shouts, so I kept wanting to see the score of the game. FINALLY, Spain scored. All I could hear was: Espana, Espana, Espana!!!!!!! Viva Espana! Then after the game, and after the pool, I showed Mansi the best supermarket in Cochabamba where we got our share of American food to hold us over for the next week. We then headed to the Prado to search for the best chocolate cake in Cochabamba which I had just tried the night before. It is from a placed called Alexander's and my sister told me it was on the Prado, and there were two stores also in the South. We couldn't find the cafe, though, and we kept asking people, and no one had heard of it, and when I called my sister she didn't pick up. Finally, we decided to head to Cine Center to watch a movie. On the way there, Karin called me... and what did I find out? Alexander's actually has the BEST chocolate cake in Bolivia, not Cochabamba. And what ELSE did I find out? Alexander's is only located in La Paz. Well, I guess it turns out I hadn't really been listening too well when Karin had been telling me where it was earlier. We were a little far from La Paz, so I guess no chocolate cake anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Please bring me the chocolate cake from La Paz.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete